Sunday, August 16, 2009

Stawberry-Rhubarb Crisp


Rhubarb isn't loved by everyone but I definitely LOVE rhubarb. It's easy to bake with and definitely easy to freeze. I recently made a crips with strawberries and rhubarb - a common combination.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees

Topping (recipe fro America's Test Kitchen)

6 tbs flour (I used whole-wheat)

1/4 c brown sugar

1/4 c granulated sugar

1/4 tsp cinnamon

1/4 tsp nutmeg

1/4 tsp salt

5 tbs cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch pieces

3/4 c coarsely chopped nutes (I used almonds)

Note: I doubled the recipe because I like a lot of topping. :) I also added ground flax seed.

Preparation

Place flour, sugars, spices, and salt in food processor and process briefly to combine. Add butter and pulse 10 times, about 4 seconds for each pulse. The mixture will first look like dry sand, with large lumps of butter, then like coarse cornmeal. Add the nuts, then process again, four or five 1-second pulses. The topping shoud look like slightly clumpy wet sand. Be sure not to overmix, or the mixture will become too wet. Refrigerate the topping while preparing the fruit, at least 15 minutes.

Filling (my own eye)

Strawberries (quartered) and rhubarb (1/4 inch pieces) nicely coated with honey

Preparation

Fill 8x8 pyrex pan 2/3 way full of strawberry and rhubarb mix, and 1/3 with topping mixture

Bake @ 375 degrees for 25 minutes

After 25 minutes, raise temp to 400 for another 5 minutes; fruit should be bubbling

Total baking time = 30 minutes

Let cool and then serve with vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Kaytee said...

Mmmm, I love rhubarb!!! I will have to try this out!