Thursday, August 6, 2009

Berry-Peach Cobbler w/ Sugared Almonds

I thought I'd start us off with a new delicious cobbler recipe I tried from the July 2009 issue of Cooking Light. Great tasting and low calorie? Score! I made it for a BBQ and it was devoured quickly. I think I might add some raspberries next time I make it and see how that works. Happy eating!


Ingredients
Filling:
3 (6-ounce) packages fresh blueberries
3 (5.6-ounce) packages fresh blackberries
3 medium peaches, peeled and sliced
Cooking spray
2/3 cup granulated sugar (I used a little less and it was still good)
2 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon salt

Topping:
1 c. all-purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
1/2 cup half-and-half
1/3 cup sliced almonds (I used more almonds because I love them)
3 tablespoons turbinado sugar (the bigger crystals of sugar)
1 egg white

Remaining ingredient:
4 cups vanilla fat-free ice cream

Preparation
1. Preheat oven to 350°.

2. To prepare filling, combine blueberries, blackberries, and peaches in a 13 x 9–inch baking dish lightly coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle 2/3 cup granulated sugar, 2 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch, juice, and 1/8 teaspoon salt over fruit; toss gently to combine.

3. To prepare topping, combine flour, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, 2 tablespoons cornstarch, baking powder, and 1/8 teaspoon salt, stirring well. Cut butter into flour mixture with a pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add half-and-half; gently knead dough just until moistened. Drop dough by spoonfuls evenly over top of filling. Combine almonds, turbinado sugar, and egg white; sprinkle over top. Bake at 350° for 50 minutes or until topping is browned. Let stand 10 minutes. Serve with ice cream.

Yeild:
12 servings (1 c. cobler & 1/3 c. ice cream)

Nutritional Information:
Calories: 321
Fat: 8.9g (sat 4.5g,mono 2.7g,poly 0.8g)
Protein: 5.3g
Carbohydrate: 58.9g
Fiber: 4.2g
Cholesterol: 19mg
Iron: 1.1mg
Sodium: 147mg
Calcium: 101mg


Enjoy!

4 comments:

abbey said...

YUM!!! And look at you...cutting down on the sugar & all. I'm impressed. Can't wait to try this one.

Mike and Becka said...

Yes! I tried this recipe too and it was a HUGE hit! So good!!!

Mike and Becka said...

PS - I can't post anything. Add me!! :) XOXXO

Claire said...

Fabulous! I'm so glad you made this! I've been eying the recipe ever since I got my magazine with it on the cover- so glad to know it is as good as it looks!