Monday, August 10, 2009

Baked French Fries w/ Garlicky Dijon Mayo

I've posted this recipe on my personal blog before but I thought I'd share it on here too. I seriously make these fries all the time and use the dip for other things besides the fries as well. I got this recipe from January '09 issue Cooking Light (which is where I get most of my recipes). I've changed the recipe a little bit based on what I think works better and make it serve 2 people instead of 4 because I usually only cook for 2 and I don't need extra french fries laying there tempting me! They wanted you to bake them at 450 but I found the fries to be way too crispy and almost burnt doing that so I bake them at 400. Perhaps if you make more then 2 servings, you may want to turn up the heat if you find your fries are too mushy.

Ingredients:

-1 teaspoon sherry vinegar (I use normal vinegar if I don't have sherry vinegar)
-1 large garlic clove, minced
-3 tablespoons canola mayonnaise
-1 1/2 teaspoons whole-grain Dijon mustard
-1 baking potato (you can use more potatoes if you want more, 1 potato feeds 2 people)
-2 teaspoons olive oil
-1/4 teaspoon kosher salt (I add a little minced garlic sometimes too)
-cooking spray

Preparation:
1.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

2. Combine vinegar and garlic in a small bowl; let stand 5 minutes. Stir in mayonnaise and mustard.

3. Cut potatoes lengthwise into 1/4 inch thick slices; stack slices and cut lengthwise into 1/4 inch thick strips. Place in a large bowl; cover with hot water. Let stand 10 minutes. Drain potatoes, pat dry with paper towels. Combine potatoes, oil, and salt in large bowl; toss gently to coat (add minced garlic now if you want). Arrange potatoes in a single layer on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400 for 25 minutes (might need longer if you use more potatoes); carefully turn over and bake an additional 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve with sauce.


Yield: 2 servings (about 1 cup fries and about 1 tablespoon sauce)

Nutritional Information:
Calories: 180
Fat: 7g (sat .5g, mono 4.3 g, poly 1.5 g)
Protein: 3.2 g
Carb: 26.2g
Fiber: 1.9g
Chol: 0mg
Iron: 1.3mg
Sodium: 233mg
Calc: 21mg

2 comments:

Mike and Becka said...

I love baking fries, too! I sometimes toss mine with some chili powder to give them a little kick. Yum!

Kimber said...

So I tried this recipe last night for dinner with Chas, and he loved them! He was wishing that I had made a whole other batch. Delicious!