Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Rhubarb Custard Pie


In honor of my dad's 60th birthday (which is today) I thought I'd post my mom's recipe for his favorite pie (which I am about to eat). My dad LOVES Rhubarb Custard Pie, especially because the rhubarb comes straight from my mom's garden and is super fresh. I love the tartness of the rhubarb and the sweetness of the custard. YUM!

Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 t. nutmeg
- dash of salt
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 cups of 1 inch slices of fresh rhubarb
- 2 T. butter, cut into small pieces
- pie crust, enough for crust and lattice (my family pie crust recipe is posted below)

Preparation:
Mix together the sugar, flour, nutmeg, and salt. Add the beaten eggs. Stir in 4 cups rhubarb. Line a 9 inch pie pan with pie crust leaving some hanging over the side (if you use the recipe posted below, you want to double it or make 1.5 times the recipe). Fill with rhubarb mixture. Dot top of filling with butter pieces. With remaining pie crust, arrange the lattice crust on top. Seal edges. Bake at 400 degrees for 50 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Serve a la mode if you wish (we always do!)

2 comments:

Mike and Becka said...

Oh stop it!!! This one is making me crazy! I MUST EAT IT NOW!!!

lacey said...

Whoa, Kate!!!