Sunday, August 16, 2009

Aunt June's Chicken Casserole

My mom's great aunt made up this recipe decades ago and it won first place in a cooking contest! Anyway, it's a family favorite and one that's perfect for those colder days. I'm actually cooking it as I type though! It's also great to divide up into 2 8x8 pans. I do that and we eat one pan and put the other one in the freezer for a "rainy" day when I don't want to cook! I have no idea what the nutrition facts are, but here's the recipe:
2 boneless chicken breasts
1 chopped onion (I just pour some onion flakes in)
1 T. dried parsley
celery tops (I don't use)
2 c. chicken broth
2 c. Minute Rice
2/3 c. mayonnaise
2 (10 1/2 oz.) cans cream of chicken soup
2 c. Rice Krispies
2 T. butter
salt and pepper

Boil chicken with parsley, celery tops, onion-or flakes, and dash of salt and pepper. Cook 20-30 minutes or until chicken is white completely through. Drain chicken reserving 2 c. chicken broth. Cut chicken into small pieces. Add rice into a 9x13 pan and pour chicken broth in. Let rice soak up chicken broth for a couple of minutes. Add chicken, mayonnaise and soup and stir until well blended. On stove top, melt butter in saucepan and add Rice Krispies. Stir until coated. Pour Rice Krispies over top of chicken mixture and spread evenly. Bake uncovered at 350 for 45 minutes.

No comments: