Monday, August 17, 2009

Baked Macaroni and Cheese

(photo by Randy Mayor, courtesy of cookinglight.com)

This is my all time favorite mac & cheese recipe. I love it because it has great texture and flavor and is a lot healthier than your typical mac & cheese. It is also super easy to make and is an easy dish to serve for lunch when you have guests staying with you. Sometimes I add grilled or lightly breaded chicken for some added protein. Yum! It is from the Best of Cooking Light cookbook
Ingredients
- 4 cups cooked elbow macaroni (about 2 cups (8 oz) uncooked)
- 2 cups (8 oz) shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup 1% low-fat cottage cheese
- 3/4 cup nonfat sour cream
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped onion (I usually I add more)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1/4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Fresh oregano sprigs (I rarely use these but feel free too if you want better presentation)
Preparation
Combine first 10 ingredients; stir well, and spoon into a 2-quart casserole coated with cooking spray. Combine breadcrumbs and next 2 ingredients; stir well. Sprinkle over casserole. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 5 minutes or until set. Garnish with oregano.
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 cup)
Nutritional Information
Calories: 356 (28% from fat)
Fat: 11.2g (sat 5.2g,mono 3.3g,poly 1.4g)
Protein: 24.9g
Carbohydrate: 37.5g
Fiber: 1.2g
Cholesterol: 63mg
Iron: 2mg
Sodium: 724mg
Calcium: 402mg

3 comments:

lacey said...

Can't wait to try this, Kate! mmmmm

Kimber said...

Made this last night....with GF pasta of course. It was a hit! Delicious, Chas loved it.

Tiffany said...

This is by far my favorite macaroni & cheese recipe! I am tossing out all of the others I have collected over the years. The onions, cottage cheese, and sour cream add depth to the flavor. I added diced ham for my toddler. =) Thanks, Kaytee!