Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Orange Mandarin Chicken


Last week when I was home in Oregon I took a big pile of my mom's old magazines and searched them for some new recipes. I got some good ones, including this one from the old July 2003 issue of Cooking Light magazine. I made it tonight for dinner and I loved it. The recipe says to serve it with Asian noodles but I served it with brown rice instead. I'm sure both would be good.


Ingredients:
- 2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
- 4 (4-oz.) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- Pinch of Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (11-oz.) can mandarin oranges in light syrup, undrained
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
- 1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch

Preparation:
1. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Add chicken to pan; cook 4 minutes on each side or until browned.

2. While chicken cooks, drain oranges in a colander over a bowl, reserving 2 tablespoons liquid. Add oranges, 2 tablespoons liquid, onions, jalapeno and garlic to pan. Reduce heat; simmer 2 minutes. Combine broth, soy sauce and cornstarch, and add to pan. Bring to a boil; cook 1 minute or until slightly thickened. Serve with Asian noodles (soba, somen, or udon) or rice and steamed snow or sugar snap peas.

Yield: 4 servings.

Nutritional Information:
Calories: 212
Fat: 3.8g
Protien: 27.2g
Carb: 15.2g
Fiber: 0.7g
Chol: 66mg
Iron: 1.9mg
Sodium: 562mg
Calc: 27mg

2 comments:

Jan said...

that looks great and i just purchased mandarin oranges the other day - yah, here i go!

Trudie said...

Sounds good! I think I'll make it tonight!! I always have mandarin oranges for the kiddos. :)