Monday, October 19, 2009

Glazed Lemon Cookies


I found this cookie recipe (and the picture) on the Martha Stewart website, http://www.marthastewart.com/. I'm a big fan of lemon bars so I figured these would be delicious... and I was right. They are especially good with a cup of coffee by the way. Anyway the recipe has two parts. First the cookie, then the glaze.


Cookie Ingredients:
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon lemon zest
2 tablespoons lemon juice (Martha says fresh squeezed... I say store bought)
1/2 cup butter room temperature (Martha says unsalted, but I used salted)
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla (Martha and Jennica say pure vanilla extract... I say imitation)


Glaze Ingredients:
2 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons lemon zest
1/3 cup lemon juice


Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix sugar, butter, egg, vanilla, and lemon juice together in mixer. Beat in flour, baking soda, salt, and lemon zest. Place 1 inch apart on baking sheet. I chose to use parchment paper to line my baking sheet, but Martha doesn't mention anything about parchment paper so I'm sure you are fine either way. Bake 15-20 minutes.


While cookies are in the oven, whisk the glaze ingredients together in a medium bowl. After the cookies have cooled for a few minutes spread the glaze over them and let set for about an hour.


Side note: If you don't have a zester to zest a lemon, I'm sure they will be just as amazing. I actually didn't use the full amount recommended because I only had one lemon and it was too small (oops). It was my first lemon zesting experience so I underestimated what I needed!

1 comment:

Kaytee said...

I helped Abbey make these for a baby shower! They are SUPER yummy. Good pick Chels!