Friday, May 6, 2011

Walnut and Rosemary Oven-Fried Chicken

Photo: Randy Mayor; Styling: Leigh Ann Ross

Drum roll Please.......It's my very first post! I've been meaning to post some tasty recipes for a LONG time, but let's face it. I was lazy. Tonight's dinner was super good and easy, so I'm going to share it with you. I'll list it the way the recipe reads and incorporate my changes in red. I served this with rice and Broccoli with Shallots, which will be my next post!

Makes 4 servings (serving size: 1 cutlet)
Total Time: 30 MINUTES
Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup low-fat buttermilk (I used plain yogurt)
  • 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
  • 4 (6-ounce) chicken cutlets (I used chicken breasts)
  • 1/3 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs) (I used regular bread crumbs)
  • 1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts
  • 2 tablespoons grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (I used a 6 cheese Italian Blend)
  • 3/4 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary (I used 1/2 tsp dried rosemary, crushed with my mortar and pestle, but I would use a little more)
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt (The bread crumbs had a lot of sodium, so I would eliminate this)
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • Cooking spray
  • Rosemary leaves (optional)
Preparation
  • Preheat oven to 425°.
  • Combine buttermilk and mustard in a shallow dish, stirring with a whisk. Add chicken to buttermilk mixture, turning to coat.
  • Heat a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add panko to pan; cook 3 minutes or until golden, stirring frequently. Combine panko, nuts, and next 4 ingredients (through pepper) in a shallow dish. Remove chicken from buttermilk mixture; discard buttermilk mixture. Dredge chicken in panko mixture.
  • Arrange a wire rack on a large baking sheet; coat rack with cooking spray. Arrange chicken on rack; coat chicken with cooking spray. Bake at 425° for 13 minutes or until chicken is done. Garnish with rosemary leaves, if desired.
Nutritional Information

Amount per serving
  • Calories: 287
  • Fat: 9.4g
  • Saturated fat: 1.6g
  • Monounsaturated fat: 1.6g
  • Polyunsaturated fat: 5.1g
  • Protein: 42.7g
  • Carbohydrate: 6g
  • Fiber: 0.9g
  • Cholesterol: 101mg
  • Iron: 1.6mg
  • Sodium: 379mg
  • Calcium: 66mg
recipe from Cooking Light, June 2010

No comments: