Friday, December 4, 2009

Simple Steel Cut Oatmeal

I just had a baby girl 2.5 weeks ago and my mom was here with us for a couple of weeks. She cooked like a mad-woman: breakfast, lunch, and dinner. We got pretty spoiled. Every morning she made me the most wonderful bowl of steel cut oatmeal and it is so easy that I have continued making it without her here. It's easy, simple, and maybe unworthy of going on this blog - but I have so enjoyed it that I thought I would share it anyway. :)

1 cup of steel cut oats
4 cups of water
1/4 tsp of salt
A handful of fresh or frozen fruit (blueberries or raspberries are what I have been using)
A pinch of brown sugar
Chopped walnuts
Ground flax seeds**
Milk

Bring the water to a boil and add the salt. Then add the oats and simmer for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Dish up and add your fruit, brown sugar (if you like), chopped walnuts, flax seeds, and as much milk as you like.

So healthy and easy! Enjoy!
**(Note about using flax seeds... remember that in order to benefit from the goodness and nutrition that flax seeds have to offer you must grind them up. If you don't grind them up your body digests them whole and you don't absorb their nutrients. You can buy them already ground, or buy them whole and grind them yourself in a coffee grinder)

No comments: