Saturday, November 14, 2009

Moroccan Skirt Steak w/ Roasted Pepper Couscous

(photo courtesy of eatingwell.com)


I got a subscription to Eating Well magazine for my birthday this year and just got my first issue last week. This recipe was the first one I tried from the Dec. '09 issue and Glendon and I both loved it! The spices are delicious and it was quick to prepare. It may even be company worthy. :o) I didn't have couscous so I made it with rice instead, which still tasted great. I just cooked the rice as directed but added the spices when the water boiled.

Ingredidents:
- 2 medium bell peppers (I only used 1)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 whole lemon, plus more lemon wedges for garnish
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2/3 cup whole-wheat couscous
- 1 pound skirt steak or sirloin steak, 3/4 to 1 inch thick, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons chopped green olives (I didn't use)

Preparation:
1. Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler.

2. Place bell peppers on a baking sheet and roast under the broiler, turning every 5 minutes, until charred and softened, 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer to a clean cutting board; when cool enough to handle, chop the peppers into bite-size pieces.

3. Meanwhile, combine cumin, coriander, salt, turmeric, cinnamon and pepper in a small bowl. Grate 1/2 teaspoon zest from the lemon. Juice the lemon into a 1-cup measure and add enough water to make 1 cup. Pour into a small saucepan and add the lemon zest, 1 teaspoon of the spice mixture and 1 teaspoon olive oil. Bring to a boil. Stir in couscous, cover, remove from heat and let stand.

4. Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium heat until shimmering (but not smoking). Rub the remaining spice mixture on both sides of steak. Cook the steak 2 to 3 minutes per side for medium-rare (I cooked for 6-8 min for medium well). Let rest on the cutting board for 5 minutes. Stir olives and the peppers into the couscous. Thinly slice the steak and serve with the couscous and lemon wedges, if desired.

Yield: 4 servings

Nutritional Information:
Calories: 455
Fat:18g (5 g sat, 10 g mono)
Chol.: 67 mg
Carbs: 36 g
Protein: 36 g
Fiber: 7 g
Sodium: 663 mg
Potassium: 483 mg

1 comment:

Kelsie said...

I have had this page ear-marked in my copy of the magazine but haven't got around to making it yet. Glad to hear it's good-I'll have to give it a try!